Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Udon Noodles with Daikon


Following a recipe from Washoku, I grated a largeish hunk of my daikon, and chopped some green onions. I threw some udon noodles on for a brief boil (98 yen for a three pack! Perfect for pre-payday meals!), and then drained and rinsed them in cold water. I tossed them with some bottled ponzu sauce I was happy to have an excuse to use, to help vacate more fridge real estate, and topped them with the radish and green onion. It was lovely, and cool, and refreshing. The noodles had more heft to them than somen, so I felt like I was actually eating something. The radish and ponzu had a sharp, slightly hot taste that kept the whole thing from being bland, like the hiyashi chuka I made last week. A success! I'll be making this all summer.

No comments: